Latest News: Now accepting pitch proposals for “Untold Story” award category until Friday, January 13, 2014!
FOURTH ANNUAL JAPAN-US INNOVATION AWARDS
When the best of Japanese creativity and American entrepreneurial skill join forces, unimagined business opportunities occur.
The Japan Society of Northern California’s Innovation Initiative, guided by an expert Japan – U.S. network of Venture Capitalists, academics and business persons, honors truly significant Japan – U.S. innovation and entrepreneurship.
Awards will be presented at the fourth annual Japan – U.S. Innovation Awards Symposium to be held at Stanford University in July, 2014. The Symposium is offered in cooperation with the Stanford University US-Asia Technology Management Center.
In addition to the annual Innovation Awards Symposium, interim programs such as the recent “Growing Biotech Ties Between the Bay Area and Japan” Salon (orchestrated in cooperation with QB 3 at the UCSF Mission Bay Campus) will be held.
Innovation Symposium Awards Information:
- Presented to a U.S. and to a Japanese company, each having a credible Japan – U.S. connection, that is unique, young, dynamic, growing rapidly, and entrepreneurial.
- Winners will stand out as particularly noteworthy for some specific innovation that is beginning to show a major impact, typically through demonstrated growth and also for holding great future promise.
- Additional information about the Emerging Leader Award, selection criteria and process can be found by clicking on the “Emerging Leader” tab at the top of this home page.
Emerging Leader Nominations Sought:
- Nominations from the general public are desired. Information about the Emerging Leader selection process can be found here. The Emerging Leader nomination form can be submitted online or via email. Completed nomination forms should be emailed to Yuriko Tada (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a cc to John Thomas (email@example.com). Please click here to complete the form online. Please click here to download a form to be submitted via email.
- Nominations must be received by midnight, November 15, 2013, in California.
- Winners will be selected through a global video conference competition held in late March, 2014. Companies selected as a finalist to participate in the video conference competition will be notified several weeks in advance.
Untold Story in Innovation:
- Presented to a journalist or other independent writer for a publication-quality manuscript of original, previously unpublished research that tells the story by which an individual or group of “intrapreneurs” have successfully delivered some instance of “bottom-up” innovation inside a large company.
- The innovation described must have relevance to present-day Japan – U.S. business, though it may have occurred in a U.S. firm, a Japanese firm, or through some U.S. – Japan partnership.
- An award will be presented to one Gold Winner and one Silver Winner, who will receive cash stipends of $3,000 and $1,000, respectively.
- Additional information about the Untold Story award, selection criteria and selection process can be found here.
Untold Story in Innovation “Pitches” Sought:
- Interested contestants are asked to submit a one –to-two page “pitch” proposal, as described in the “Call for Proposals” posted on the Untold Story tab above. Information to be included in the “pitch” proposal and submission instructions are set forth in sections VII (A) and (B) in the “Call for Proposals” document.
- “Pitches” are to be submitted no later than January 13, 2014.
2013 Award Winners