Combining the best of Japanese creativity and American entrepreneurial skill to create unimagined opportunities
2018 JAPAN-US INNOVATION AWARDS SYMPOSIUM
Friday, July 13, 2018
Stanford University, Arrillaga Alumni Center
1:30 PM – 6:30 PM
The Japan – U.S. Innovation Awards Symposium is a signature event of the Innovation Awards Program, organized by the Japan Society of Northern California in cooperation with the Stanford University US-Asia Technology Management Center.
The 2018 symposium will be held Friday, July 13, 2018 at the Stanford University Arrillaga Alumni Center from 1:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Keynote Speaker will be Nest Chief Technology Officer and famed robotics whiz Yoky Matsuoka. Her impressive resume includes working as CEO of health-data startup Quanttus, helping Apple work on its health initiatives in 2016, a professorial role at Carnegie Mellon, and was a founding member of Google X in 2009.
Emerging Leader Awards will be presented to a Japanese and a U.S. company demonstrating very rapid growth and a unique, disruptive innovation and/or business model.
And the Innovation Showcase will recognize up to five exciting Japanese start-up companies. An invitation-only workshop will be curated for these companies connecting them with Silicon Valley resources and mentoring.
12:30 – 1:30 Registration
1:30 – 1:35 Welcome Remarks by Consul General Tomochika Uyama
1:35 – 1:45 Innovation Awards Opening Remarks by Symposium Moderator Richard Dasher, Director of Stanford University’s US-Asia Technology Management Center
1:45 – 2:15 Keynote Speech by Dr. Yoky Matsuoka, NEST Chief Technology Officer
2:15 – 3:15 Emerging Leader Awards Presentation
- Japan Award Winner:
- MUJIN, Inc., Issei Takino, CEO & Rosen Diankov, Co-Founder
- US Award Winner:
- FogHorn Systems, David King, CEO
- WeWork, Elton Kwok, General Manager, Northern California
- Emerging Leader Award Panel Discussion
3:15 – 3:30 BREAK
3:30 – 4:30 Innovation Showcase Recognition & Panel Discussion
- Moderator: Ken Yasunaga, Managing Director, Value Creation Investment Group, Innovation Network Corporation of Japan
- ABEJA, Determining Executive Astroscale, Chris Blackerby, COO
- LPixel, Yuki Shimahara, CEO
- Infostellar, Determining Executive
- ispace, Takashi Hakamada, Founder and CEO
4:30 – 5:15 Special Panel Discussion: “Exit Patterns for Japanese Startups”
- Michael Tso, CEO, Cloudian
- Kenta Yasukawa, CTO, Soracom
- Dr. Koji Osawa, Managing Principal and Co-Founder, Global Catalyst Partners
5:15 – 5:25 Wrap Up by Allen Miner, CEO of SunBridge Corporation
5:25 – 5:30 Closing Remarks by C. Lawrence Greenwood, President of Japan Society of Northern California
5:30 – 6:30 Networking Reception